The School Website Homepage is essential for a successful School Marketing Plan.
The homepage is the most important page to get correct. It is the page the viewer normally reaches on their initial search. First impressions are critical.
The appearance needs to be in-line with the school’s selected branding styles:
• photos (for ease of acquiring and using professional images, check out such sites as: istockphoto (http://www.istockphoto.com/index.php) and crestock.com (http://www.crestock.com/). These sites provide professional standard images at relatively inexpensive rates. You buy royalty-free images which you can then use on your website. You may, however, have good professional ones done for you. These photos need to be professionally presented. Don’t skimp on costs here.)
• motto or catchphrase
• selected key words and key phrases
• good graphics
• clear, directing toolbar/s and other links
• attention grabbing inclusions e.g.
- o news updates
- o upcoming events
- o webpages on your website listed
The school website is discussed through detailed summarised point-form in the School Marketing Manual for the Digital Age (3rd ed) 2010 by Bryan Foster.
The School Marketing Plan must include provision for a professional and inspiring school website homepage.